Counts

Monday, February 8, 2010

DI 10 - Reflections on DI

This week would be the last lesson for DI. Whilst preparing for my sketchbook submission, I was amazed at how much we've learnt/done/practiced during DI.

Be it illustrating a product mascot, designing ads/poster/T-shirt or even going for field trips, we've tried it all and learnt so much.

Never thought that I could draw; Now, I actually enjoy drawing/designing, and even sketching random designs every now and then just for fun.

Never even have the thought that I would be doing something related to Design; and now, I'm actually doing it!!!

Before I took on this module (Design and Illustration), I had this misconception that design was only for those who had an incredible talent in drawing. Me, on the other hand, will never be able to produce any decent design since I've never done well in Art and Craft class in primary and secondary school.

However, ever since I took the first step in trying it out, I came to realise that Design is not that "foreign" afterall. In our everyday life, from the posters to the advertisement we came across on the streets/train etc or even just the furniture we use, involves a design. And by choosing what we like, and what we don't, already involves our sense of aesthetic preferences and tells about our personal style and taste.

Design not only involves drawing, it also involves many other things like visual appeal, colour coordination and most importantly, bringing out the message we want to convey to our audience through our work.

Of course it helps if you had an inborn talent in drawing; However, it is not impossible for people like me who are not that talented in the area of aesthetic design to produce a decent design too.

I guess it takes practice. Although my design isn't that outstanding and nice as compared to others, I'm glad and contented that at the very least, I can confidently tell myself that I'm definitely improving.

Btw, just got back my marks for the Ad Design that I did for the Nanyang Optical Ad. Marks weren't that fantastic, but it exceeded what I've expected earlier. Ms Nga said that I was one of the students in class who have shown the most improvements, based on the earlier designs I did at the start of the Semester haha :) Well, at least I have improved right? heehee :P

Yeap, so that's about it. Will blog on my final post for DI after I return from the National Museum field trip by the end of this week (hopefully).

Tata,
Cam :)

No comments: